Why Did We Start IKnowEverything?
Teens are overly confident and think they’re invincible. Most parents have years of driving experience and feel they are qualified instructors to teach their own children how to drive safely. Everyone thinks they know everything.
Instead of fighting these perceptions, the IKnowEverything program recognizes this dichotomy – teens have heard messages about safe driving and parents have repeated messages about safe driving. Developed to prepare teens to be safe behind the wheel, IKnowEverything is an integrated effort that highlights the issues of drunk driving and distracted driving, and reiterates to parents that they have the most influence on their teen’s driving behaviors.
While some progress has been made in recent years regarding teen driver safety, the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility (FAAR) wants to help continue this positive movement. There's many reasons why:
- Motor vehicle crashes remain the number one killer of teenagers ages 15 to 20, even though underage drinking and drunk driving among teens is down across the nation.
- Even though it is illegal for people under 21 to drink any alcohol and drive, one-third of all teen drivers killed in vehicle crashes had a .01 BAC or higher in 2010.
- Everyone shares the road – teens, adults, law enforcement, first responders - and we believe this education effort will save lives, making the roads safer for all.
IKnowEverything was developed using qualitative and quantitative research methods including:
- Focus groups with teenagers
- Interviews with judges
- Online surveys with teens and their parents
Originally developed for Virginia judges and as a supplement to the Virginia Department of Education driver education curriculum, FAAR has now partnered with the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America, International Association of Chiefs of Police Foundation, the National Organizations for Youth Safety and the National Sheriffs’ Association to distribute this resource to law enforcement, juvenile judges, educators, traffic safety professionals and anyone else across the nation to increase teen driver safety.
For more information on the IKnowEverything program, please contact contact us.
About the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility
The Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility has been dedicated to developing and implementing programs that fight drunk driving and underage drinking for over 20 years. To date, it has hosted more than 3,000 community events across the nation bringing programs to parents, youth, educators, law enforcement officials and traffic safety professionals. For more information about FAAR, please visit www.responsibility.org.